Sunday, November 8, 2009

The campaign for Precinct 2, Commissioner, Comal County begins


It is truly a wonderful thing when good, qualified folks step up to give of themselves to their community.

Scott Haag is one of those rare individuals. I wholeheartedly endorse him and wish him luck in his campaign.

I am sad that Commissioner Millikan is retiring but if anyone has to replace him Scott can.


Scott Haag announces candidacy

-

Longtime state trooper Scott Haag has announced that he will be running for Precinct 2 Comal County Commissioner in 2010.

Haag, who retired from the Department of Public Safety after 28 years in 2008, will be seeking the office being vacated by outgoing Commissioner Jay Millikin.

Haag said his experience in law enforcement and conservative values make him uniquely qualified to sit on the dais at Commissioners Court.

“As a state trooper for 28 years, I understand and respect public service,” Haag said. “I know it takes a lot of work, but I see it as a challenge and one I know I’m prepared for.”

Millikin announced earlier this week that he would not be seeking re-election after serving as commissioner since 1998. Haag said Millikin’s recent decision prompted him to announce his first run for public office.

“Jay Millikin has always been good commissioner, and I’ve always supported him,” Haag said. “I know I would have some big shoes to fill.”

Haag is a Comal County native and has lived in Precinct 2 since 1983.

He said some of his key issues are public safety and making sure that one of the fastest growing counties in the state continues to manage the influx of new residents.

“I think Comal County has always been forward thinking when it comes to growth,” Haag said. “We’re only going to continue that growth and we need to control that as best we can.” The former trooper is so far the only candidate for Precinct 2 Commissioner.

The primary election will be held in March 2010 and the general election will be on Nov. 2, 2010.