Monday, February 22, 2010

Be careful out there

Road rage apparently happens pretty much everywhere.

So beware.

Road rage sparked deadly hammer and knife attack

Sydney - A road rage incident is believed to have led to a 43-year-old man being bashed with a hammer then stabbed to death outside his home in Sydney's inner west last night.

The Malaysian-born Australian citizen - identified by police as Mohd Shah Saemin - was bashed and stabbed by two men outside his home in Marion Street at Leichhardt just before midnight.

Local Area Commander, Superintendent Shane Woolbank, said today that police believe Mr Saemin - who was a driver for the Malaysian consulate - was involved in a car accident with the two men moments before the attack.

Mr Woolbank said Mr Saemin was set upon by the two men as soon as he got out of his car and was attacked with a number of items, including a hammer.

"It was a ferocious attack," he said.
"He was then chased across the road and further attacked."

Police said a woman passing by tried to intervene and stop the fight.

Numerous items had been seized from the area for forensic examination and detectives were interviewing witnesses, confirming that at least one person saw the entire attack.

‘‘There was a lady, a passer-by, a very brave lady. She tried to intervene in the assault. She’s at the moment assisting police with inquiries,’’ Superintendent Woolbank said.

Police arrived  and performed CPR but Mr Saemin died.

Witnesses said the two men then fled in a black sedan last seen travelling north on Cromwell Street.
Police do not believe the attackers wore balaclavas, as previously reported.

They confirmed that one of the attackers had curly hair.

Dr Mohd Nasir Abu Hassan, at the Malaysian consulate, said staff were shocked by the attack.
"He is an extremely nice person, he doesn't talk too much. He is a very, very composed and generally very obedient," he said.

Dr Abu Hassan said preparations were now being made to send Mr Saemin's body back to his family in Malaysia.

He said Mr Saemin had lived in Australia for the past 10 years and had worked for the consulate for  three years.