Removal hearing set to begin for Detroit mayor
By ED WHITE and COREY WILLIAMS Associated Press Writers
Plaintiffs' Supplemental Brief in Support of Their Motion for Attorney Fees and Costs (April 29, 2008)
Deposition related to the Detroit mayor's text-messaging sex scandal (PDF)
DETROIT (AP) -- Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick has failed to stop Gov. Jennifer Granholm from moving ahead with an extraordinary public hearing that could cost him his job in a scandal over steamy text messages and millions of tax dollars.
Kilpatrick's lawyers struck out with pleas to a Wayne County judge and the Michigan Court of Appeals, clearing the way for Granholm to begin hearing evidence Wednesday about the mayor's role in a $8.4 million settlement with fired police officers who sued the city.
The City Council says it approved the deal last year without knowing that it carried secret provisions to keep a lid on text messages between Kilpatrick and Christine Beatty, who was his chief of staff, on city-issued pagers.
Granholm, a fellow Democrat, has pared the case to two issues: Did Kilpatrick settle the lawsuits for personal gain because he feared release of the text messages? And did the mayor conceal information from the City Council?
"The way this is set up, the governor has free rein to be the judge, jury and executioner," he said after the first of two court challenges was rejected Tuesday.