Saturday, May 1, 2010

Guilty under felony murder doctrine

Hmmm?  I wonder if this will hold up on appeal?

I mean, off the top of my head, I can see manslaughter, but murder?

I guess under the felony murder doctrine, but this might be a stretch.  We'll see.

Good job prosecutors.


Man who fled police found guilty of murder
By Craig Kapitan - Express-News

A man was convicted Friday of killing an Eagle Pass minister when he crashed into the pastor's car while fleeing from police.

It took jurors in 175th District Court less than two hours to find Justin Toney, now 21, guilty of murder for the July 19, 2008, wreck. He faces up to life in prison for Ramiro Ruben Sepulveda's death.

Jurors are scheduled to begin deliberating Toney's punishment Monday morning.

Prosecutors said they charged Toney with murder because of his flagrant disregard for human life while committing a felony, which in this case was evading arrest.

The rest of the story: