Tuesday, December 29, 2009


How and why did this happen?

Its sad and troubling.

Rest now little one.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Toddler dies of possible morphine overdose
By Eva Ruth Moravec - Express-News

A toddler who might have been given too much morphine immediately after a dental procedure this month died Sunday night, authorities said.

Maddoux Cordova was taken off life support at 7 p.m. Sunday at Wilford Hall Medical Center, where the 22-month-old spent more than two weeks after he stopped breathing following treatment for tooth decay at Village Specialty Surgical Center.

Dr. Bill Berlocher, president of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, said morphine, a narcotic derived from the opium poppy plant, is occasionally given to children undergoing dental procedures but that serious complications resulting from its use are “extremely rare.” In dental procedures, it's mostly used to sedate patients before surgery or in conjunction with anesthesia, he said, adding that he doesn't prescribe the drug.

The rest of the story: