TMZ has learned that Dennis Quaid’s newborn twins are fighting for their lives after being inadvertently overdosed at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.
Sources tell us the twins — Thomas Boone and Zoe Grace — were accidentally given a massive does of Heparin, an anti-coagulant. Babies typically get 10 units. Our sources says they were each mistakenly given 10,000 units. The drug is used to flush out IV lines and prevent blood clots. We’re told one dose was given on Sunday morning, another on Sunday evening.
We’re told late Sunday night, both babies started to “bleed out.” Both babies are now at Cedars in the neo-natal intensive care unit where we’re told they are stable.
A recent study suggests that nearly 200,000 people die each year in US hospitals from “preventable medical errors,” which is more than the number of people who die from breast and lung cancer combined . If those are the number that died, just think of how many countless more people must be seriously injured due to common errors like the one that happened to Dennis Quaid’s babies twice.