Police say man was shot in bungled carjacking
David Saleh Rauf: Express-News
In what authorities described as a bungled carjacking, a 28-year-old man was shot and critically wounded outside a South Side convenience store late Sunday night.
San Antonio Police Officer Matthew Hollenbeck said the man, whose name was not immediately released, was shot by his would-be victim, in turn becoming the victim himself. He was among a group of people who arrived at the Kwik Trip Food Store at South Flores and East Southcross streets about 11:30 p.m. Half of the group went into the store, and the man, armed with a knife, went into a truck, whose driver was inside the store, Hollenbeck said.
The pickup driver returned to his vehicle, Hollenbeck said, and upon seeing the armed man inside, fired a gun, striking the man in his chest. The man was taken to Wilford Hall Medical Center with injuries Hollenbeck said were deemed life-threatening.
The driver then fired several shots at the car in which the victim had been a passenger, Hollenbeck said, before fleeing the scene. When paramedics and police arrived, both vehicles were gone, the victim left behind.