Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Mom, its my chem homework, really!!

They probably told her they had Chemistry lab homework to catch up on.

Nice son she has by the way.

Police say esteemed educator was unaware of meth lab in her home
Chris Sadeghi KENS 5 Eyewitness News

Police descended on the home of a beloved educator in Shavano Park Tuesday to make a drug bust.

Authorities say 81-year-old Nora Forester was the true victim — oblivious to what was going on in her own home.

Narcotics officers, meth-making chemicals and meth-making suspects all littered Forester's front yard. Three arrests were made Tuesday. One of those arrested was one of Forester's sons.
Neighbors say they turned her quiet home into a crime scene.
"It's a shame to see this happen. Her husband passed away a little over a year ago, and it seems like they just came in and kind of took over the place," neighbor Michele Mode-Hageman said.

Investigators had been watching the home for days, and when they executed the warrant, they found a methamphetamine lab in the garage and fumes strong enough to overwhelm them.
"For the officers, when they first went in, there was burning to the eyes, their throats. They quickly exited. We ventilated the garage for officers' safety," said Lt. Joe Koy, with the Texas Department of Public Safety's narcotics unit.

Forester spent 37 years teaching for the Northside Independent School District and was the district's first reading specialist. An elementary school scheduled to open this summer is named after her.

The district says the incident is unfortunate, but hardly trumps her accolades.

"We select individuals to be namesakes to our schools because they are role models for children, and she certainly is that. Her reputation is impeccable," NISD spokesman Pascual Gonzalez said.
Instead, authorities and district officials are shocked that she was living in danger, and apparently put there by her own family.

"One of the main components given off by a lab by individuals that don't know what they're doing is phosphine gas. It's odorless, it's colorless and extremely deadly. One breath and you're dead," Koy said.