Thursday, May 10, 2012

A recounting of a tragedy

This is truly heart-wrenching testimony written and reported on by a veteran reporter who has witnessed many trials.

It is hard for me to conceive or believe that the jury will not sanction her for the ill-thought actions of that evening.


Mother, jurors weep as baby's brush with death recalled
By Craig Kapitan - Express-News

One of Traci Lopez's last visions before everything changed three years ago was 18-month-old daughter Ava looking up at her, smiling as she put off her bath a few minutes longer to help pick up grass clippings.

“When I stood up all I saw was a car coming right at me ... All I had time to do was turn,” Lopez recalled through sobs Thursday as she testified at the intoxication assault and hit-and-run punishment trial of motorist Julie Ann Bronson, 45.

“I remember seeing (older daughter) Isa ... hit the fence,” Lopez continued. “I was on the ground and I was hurting and all I could hear was Isa crying and thinking to myself, ‘OK, Isa's probably OK, but why don't I hear Ava?'”